Crimea River

Freelance writing & editing --
news, education, business & creative

Email me


Friday, October 31, 2008

"Curiosity did not kill this cat" -- RIP: Studs Terkel
















I met Studs Terkel once in Boulder a few years ago. It was like meeting any towering legend I've admired to the point of hero-worship, which I hope I didn't convey. He grinned from ear to ear as I shook his frail hand on the stage of Macky Auditorium on the CU-Boulder campus (where I was a grad student in journalism) after his presentation during one of CU's annual and always-epic Conference on World Affairs. I think I managed to tell him that I was from Chicago, too. I didn't really have anything to say; I think I was rendered a little dumb because it was wonderful just to touch the fully open connection to so much of where I'm from and who I am. His hand was history itself. -- KT

Click on post title for Chicago Trib story. Read Edward Lifson's Oct. 23 HuffPo post about calling Studs to talk about Obama here. Read Roger Ebert's Sun-Times column here.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter


    Antony: "If It Be Your Will"

    Joni: "Blue"

    k.d. lang: "Hallelujah"

    BSG: "Daybreak," Part I